Friday, January 9, 2009

Lunch Playdate


Wednesday Miles and I met up with a bunch of great moms called the Bluff City Mommies group. We originally met everyone at the zoo back in September but my lazy butt hasn't made it out to a single function since. Nevertheless, I promised to get Miles out to meet more kids this year so we went to Rebekah's home where we were all fed potato soup, salad and sandwiches for the little ones.
I had no idea how Miles would react since it was a small space with a LOT of noise. There were about a dozen kids running around, of various ages and he was at first intimidated. He sat in my lap the first half hour, pressed up against me and cuddling his blankie. I finally put him on the floor so that I could make our plates and when I came back in the room he was pushing a toy truck! I was so excited, thinking he'd broken out of his shell until a bigger kid accidentally stepped on one of his fingers and he started crying.
Lunch was an even bigger ordeal since everyone with a baby knows if you are holding said baby you will not be allowed to eat your own meal. He kept reaching for my salad even though I was giving him bites of chicken to munch on. If I left the table to get something else he would stand in place and cry as if I had abandoned him so I put him on my hip and started to learn how to self serve left-handed.
After lunch the adults wanted to stand around and visit but Miles didn't like this concept. He played for about 10 more minutes until another baby crawled up to him and stared at him for a moment. This totally freaked him out so he sat on his butt, looked over at me and began howling, complete with REAL TEARS (something that rarely happens). He would not even allow another one of the ladies to try and comfort him. I concluded he was tired and in dire need of a nap so we thanked Rebekah for the lunch, said quick goodbyes and left. You can probably imagine what happened next. The moment and I mean the MOMENT we walked outside and got to the car guess who was all smiles and giggles, back in his regular good mood?
Ah, kids. Ya gotta love 'em. Mainly 'cause you're stuck with them til they go to college.

No comments: