Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Miles' Great Grandmother

Sad news to deliver this afternoon: my only remaining living grandmother, Emma Sue Todd, passed away this morning in her sleep. For many years she was the executive assistant to the founder of Holiday Inn Hotels, something she was quite proud of. Known as Sue to friends and family she was only 3 weeks away from her 88th birthday but has been in declining health for a couple of years now. My father was her only child and he will have quite the burden in preparations for her funeral. This is just one more reminder to Matt and myself why we want Miles to have at least one sibling.
The cool thing is that my dad took baby and myself to see her in the nursing home shortly after his birth for a picture so at least I can show him visual proof of meeting his very own great grandmother.
My only living grandparent now is Papaw, grandfather on my mom's side. I've always loved his visits so it will be nice to see him at some point next week when he comes to pay his respects. My aunts came to my late grandfather's funeral 4 years ago and I'm wondering if they will make it as well.

The craziest part of all this is the timeline. My grandfather, Carl, died in April of 2004. Sue's birthday is 3 weeks from tomorrow so she was born and now has also died in April. My wedding anniversary with Matt is less than 3 weeks away and my uncle Nick died right before Matt and I began dating in April 6 years ago. There's something about April in my life that causes constant life upheaval!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Awww. My condolences on the passing of your grandmother. I'm sure meeting Miles was a delight for her. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.