Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Happy Birthday to Miles


Today is the 2 month anniversary of my son's birth. I can't believe right now 2 months ago I was laid up on a hospital gurney, wondering if I would ever have feeling in my legs again. At this particular moment I was also wondering when my hands and arms would begin to STOP shaking. (The drugs they put me on gave me serious tremors so bad that I couldn't even hold my own child until later that afternoon).

So very much has changed over this short amount of time! He's grown stronger, bigger, heavier, longer. He's beginning to show his little personality and develop a relationship with those closest to him ie. me, Matt, my parents. I've tried desperately to log all his "firsts". First bath, first snow, first stroller walk, first Easter, first St. Paddy's Day, first zoo trip. For some reason it's very important to me that he knows when all these things happened so that he can look back and see just how crazy in love his family was with him during this time.

Also, he has begun to do something most recently that has melted my heart in a way I didn't know possible - he has started to unintentionally say, "Mama". It's usually when he's tiredly crying and frowning making the "maaa" sound once while opening his mouth and then again while closing it. However, he's beginning to make the connection that when this sound is made the "one with the long hair" comes running into the room to scoop him up and cuddle him. Matt and I are thinking it's only a matter of time now before he utters that very word in reference to me and my heart will forever be enamored for this sweet little guy who runs my life. (I DARE you to look at that gorgeous smiling face and resist the cuteness. Go ahead. Just try.)

It has been a loooong, tiring journey thus far but Matt and I are now extremely comfortable as parents. You could even perhaps say that we are naturals. No one knows Miles better than we do and we can predict better than a crystal ball what he will want next according to his moods. We have been blessed with a happy, wonderfully laid-back baby. None of that awful colic for us! And on Friday he goes in for his 2 month checkup where they will measure and weigh him as well as give him shots!! Oh no. I don't think I'll be able to stand being there for that event.

3 comments:

Bill said...

Shel...

I am a bit concerned after watching your videos of Miles. In the four videos you have posted I saw Miles flash multiple gang signs. I thought this quick reference might help.

Warning Signs That Your Child May Be Involved with a Gang

* Shows an unusual interest in one or two particular colors of clothing or a particular logo (I saw set of keys he seemed interested in)

* Uses unusual hand signals to communicate with friends (I lost count of how many gang symbols he flashed during the videos. I currently have a team of law enforcement officals deciphering them.)

* Has specific drawings or gang symbols on school books, clothes, walls or tattoos (I am not sure but I believe he may be in the Chicago based gang, The Lucky Charms.)

* Has unexplained cash or goods, such as clothing or jewelry (Where exactly did Miles get those clothes he is wearing, he doesn't have any money or a job.)

* Speaking in gang-style slang (I will have to get you in touch with some linguists that study gang-style slang, I can't exactly determine the words that are coming from his mouth.)

* Declining school attendance, performance, behavior (If he doesn't show up at school we really can't determine if his performance is declining.)

*Exhibiting signs of drug use (Studies have shown that drug addicts sometimes defecate in their pants.)

* Has been in trouble with police (Are those bars on his crib?)

* Carries a weapon (That may be next, I would check his crib for a shank.)

* Staying out late without reason (Could all those late feedings be because he is out running around the neighborhood working up an appetite?)

We care about you and Miles and just wanted to give you the information to seek help early.

Bill & Cat

Mama Shel said...

I know, right? And he's always laying flat on his back and expects us to just carry him around cause he's to messed up to walk or something!
I think it's all the Jager he's constantly shooting. Guh, how can anyone drink that stuff?!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! Miles is so cute. I love his little videos too. Happy 2 month birthday!